Archive for Football Italia A forum for English speaking supporters of Italian football.
 


       Football Italia Forum Index -> Football Italia Forum
Guest

Who is the Best Italian Player of last decade?

I personally think Francesco Totti is the very best italian player to emerge in italian soccer horizon for the past decade.I love his flicks,back-heels,lobs and powerful finishes...he can play both as CAM and forward which is a unique caliber..
please put up your thoughts on this...
nino

Maldini. The end.

Where's Baggio?
Lupo Pazzesco

Re: Who is the Best Italian Player of last decade?

Gautam wrote:
I personally think Francesco Totti is the very best italian player to emerge in italian soccer horizon for the past decade.I love his flicks,back-heels,lobs and powerful finishes...he can play both as CAM and forward which is a unique caliber..
please put up your thoughts on this...


Agreed. A natural goalscorer as well.
Liam

Superman, Gigi Buffon!
Myles

The most overrated Italian Player of last decade - Francesco Totti

He's played against Juve about 20 or 30 times, i've only ever seen him play well once, that's useless.

Flicks and tricks against small teams then against the big boys and european giants disappears, reminds me of Cantana for Man Utd, the home crowd loved his flicks, but seem to miss that a Juve player was always the next to touch the ball. Totti is good for watching flare footie but he'll never win you anything. Pointless player.
Duncan!

Totti and Buffon over the last 10 years.   Nesta would be the top if he had stayed healthy all the time.

But just look at those names-- no wonder Italia won the WC in 2006!!!!
DP

Mirko Conte or Dario Hubner. Too close to call though, perhaps both could share it ?
nino

Hubner; legend!

Here's another name thrown into the ring: Stefan Schwoch.
Lupo Pazzesco

Myles wrote:
The most overrated Italian Player of last decade - Francesco Totti

He's played against Juve about 20 or 30 times, i've only ever seen him play well once, that's useless.

Flicks and tricks against small teams then against the big boys and european giants disappears, reminds me of Cantana for Man Utd, the home crowd loved his flicks, but seem to miss that a Juve player was always the next to touch the ball. Totti is good for watching flare footie but he'll never win you anything. Pointless player.


When have Juventus been the European or World bencmark in the last decade?!? A laughable argument as usual.
Myles

We got to the CL final in '03 plus we've been top 2 in the domestic league pre-calciopoli, so for the first half of the last decade we would've been the benchmark that Roma could only dream about, as for post-calciopoli, yeah we've been bad and the one game he played well against us was post-calciopoli so fair play to him for that!

I do admit saying he was a pointless player was over the top so i take that back but the rest stands.

I find it laughable that anyone would consider him the best italian player of the last decade.
Duncan!

C'mon man, I have heard a lot of people say Totti was the best Italian player of the 2000's.   And if he wasn't, he was damn close.   Only two even close over the last 10 years are Buffon or Cannavaro.

But to say it's laughable to consider totti the best Italian player of the last decade, is, er, laughable
Myles

I heard people say it too, that's why i think he's overrated because i'm not of the same opinion. Okay maybe not laughable though.
Guest

Re: Who is the Best Italian Player of last decade?

Gautam wrote:
Francesco Totti ...can play both as CAM and forward which is a unique caliber
It's hardly unique.
Guest

Duncan! wrote:
C'mon man, I have heard a lot of people say Totti was the best Italian player of the 2000's.   And if he wasn't, he was damn close.   Only two even close over the last 10 years are Buffon or Cannavaro


I don't see how you can say that the only two that are even close are Buffon and Cannavaro.

Basically what you're saying is that Del Piero hasn't been anywhere near Totti's level?

Ludicrous.
Guest

where is gattuso? although he wouldn't come anywhere near the top, surely he deserves a mention above the likes of vieri, when you compare what they have achieved since 2001.
Duncan!

ADP hasn't been at Totti level since his knee injury in 98.  Even his former managers played Totti ahead of him in the NT.   Who was starting in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006   - Totti

Don't get me wrong, ADP was prob the best player in the world along with ZZ and Baggio, but after the injury he went from all time great to damn good
Myles

You serious?

ADP always plays great against the top teams and in the CL and has many many many times single-handedly beaten those top teams, can you seriously say the same about Totti? Honestly now.
Guest

Totti.
Lupo Pazzesco

ADP has been nowhere near his peak of the mid nineties and also has the dubious question of his physique during the period? No doubt he was product of the drug lab Juventus ran during that time and of which they were found guilty of doing by the highest court in the Italian legal system in 2007.

He's also a terrible diver alongside Krasic who appears ready to take his crown anytime. The CL argument is a non runner with Juventus' relatively poor form in the competition in the last decade.
Guest

Maldini for me.
Myles

Lupo Pazzesco wrote:
ADP has been nowhere near his peak of the mid nineties and also has the dubious question of his physique during the period? No doubt he was product of the drug lab Juventus ran during that time and of which they were found guilty of doing by the highest court in the Italian legal system in 2007.

He's also a terrible diver alongside Krasic who appears ready to take his crown anytime. The CL argument is a non runner with Juventus' relatively poor form in the competition in the last decade.


I thought we were discussing who is better between ADP and Totti, i'm not seeing anything in your argument in relation to this. As for ADP being a diver, that's the first time i've ever heard someone call ADP a diver, that's a new one! At least if you are going to make up shit make it half plausable.
Liam

Lupo Pazzesco wrote:
ADP has been nowhere near his peak of the mid nineties and also has the dubious question of his physique during the period? No doubt he was product of the drug lab Juventus ran during that time and of which they were found guilty of doing by the highest court in the Italian legal system in 2007.

He's also a terrible diver alongside Krasic who appears ready to take his crown anytime. The CL argument is a non runner with Juventus' relatively poor form in the competition in the last decade.

To say that in defence of Totti is ridiculous.

I eventually (And I needed to do a lot of searching) found out what happened in 2007 with regards to the drugs trial.  Basically nothing as the statute of limitations meant the whole thing collapsed.  I firmly believe that if Juventus had done anything seriously wrong in this then a really serious punishment would have been handed out at some stage, but it wasn't.  Calciopoli showed that Juventus were far from untouchable.

Onto the debate though.  I respect Totti as a player, as he's undoubtedly been one of the best in the world at one stage.  I don't like him as a person, but we're not debating that.

At his peak Del Piero was the best in the world.  I don't think Totti ever was, but I'm also biased.

It doesn't matter anyway because Baggio was better than both of them.
Lupo Pazzesco

Guilty but no punishment because of the statute of limitations so they were guilty of drug use. No question at all! Cheating again.
Juvefans

All non juventus fans bang on about adp's 98 knee injury and how he's never been the same blah blah blah. Rubbish. Since 2003 he's been banging home the goals and getting tons of assists like there is no tomorrow. He turns up when it matters over and over again despite being criticised constantly when he doesn't score a wonder goal every bloody week. Totti is so painfully overrated it hurts, he couldn't even perform well in wc 2006. There's no doubt he's talented but not really good enough to be probably even in the top 10 players of the last decade
Liam

Lupo Pazzesco wrote:
Guilty but no punishment because of the statute of limitations so they were guilty of drug use. No question at all! Cheating again.

I'm no expert on this trial, so I won't argue too much.  I just know that no punishments were handed out, and no titles were taken off, and I also know that if Juventus could be taken down with no evidence, then they would certainly have been taken down with solid evidence.

I'll say no more, except Sensi buying referees rolex watches, and the 1984 European Cup sem-final.
Duncan!

Why doesn't anyone ever answer me this-  In La Nazionale, different managers from Zoff to Trap to Lippi {who was ADP's former manager} ALL picked Totti ahead of ADP.   Because from 2000 to 2007  Totti was the better player.     ADP was Lippi's pet at Juve, but even he based his sqaud around Totti, even holding a spot for him in 2006 after his ankle injury  FACT

But, as it was said, Baggio was better than them both!!!
Lupo Pazzesco

Well said Duncan!
nino

Duncan! wrote:
Why doesn't anyone ever answer me this-  In La Nazionale, different managers from Zoff to Trap to Lippi {who was ADP's former manager} ALL picked Totti ahead of ADP.   Because from 2000 to 2007  Totti was the better player.     ADP was Lippi's pet at Juve, but even he based his sqaud around Totti, even holding a spot for him in 2006 after his ankle injury  FACT

But, as it was said, Baggio was better than them both!!!


Well Baggio was third in that particular queue so what does that prove?
Guest

this Gautam dude comes on, creates a poll, then vanishes. what was the point?
       Football Italia Forum Index -> Football Italia Forum
Page 1 of 1